It’s that time of year again: Resolution time! If you like so many others are attempting to adopt a plant-based diet — whether for the month or forever —we have five tips to keep in mind when you’re taking on such a transition.
- Many people report feeling lighter on a plant-based diet. If you rely on that heavy feeling to feel full, keep a good arsenal of snacks handy to munch on until you adjust.
- Plan and shop for your meals ahead of time. It’s easier to keep on track of any change if you have everything you need on hand. This is especially true after a long day at work.
- Have fun! You may not realize it, but you’ve just opened up an entire new world of foods for yourself. Think about all the fruits, vegetables, grains and beans you probably have never bothered to try before this. Now is your chance to explore and discover foods you haven’t thought about trying.
- Try to connect with like-minded people or someone who is familiar with the lifestyle. PETA and Vegan Outreach both have wonderful vegan mentor programs, so you can connect one-on-one with someone and talk through any questions you may have.
- Just remember that sometimes mistakes happen, and you’ll have to be okay with that. The day will come where you accidentally buy or eat something that is not plant-based. When that happens, please remember that no one’s perfect! Learn from the experience and move forward.